Monday 18 May 2015

2 Up Top


This post includes 2 tops.

 Top 1 was a cheapie from last winter.  I really like the colour, but I've never liked this trapeze style on me. 

Top 2 is a top I bought new about 10 years ago, and have worn a lot over the years because I did and still do love the colours.  But the style was a little tired, so I decided to try turn it into an asymmetrical cardigan.  



 To change the trapeze style of top 1 I marked where I wanted the new side seams to be with chalk.



And then sewed along the chalk lines.



Then chopped off the trapeze sides to complete top 1.



For top 2, I first chopped off that huge 'turtle neck'.
(All cut edges in this refashion were stitched after cutting to stop fraying).



Then I marked and cut the middle of the front to create the cardigan.



After which it looked like this... Not quite enough 'drape' for my liking.



So I cut the 'turtle neck' offcut into two even sized pieces to provide the extra drapey bits.



I rolled and stitched the edges that would not be hidden on the inside of the cardigan to give the top a more 'finished' look.



And then I had a bit of a play with where these two extra bits would sit, and decided on this position (one on each side).



Then sewed them in place.



Lastly, I made the sleeves smaller so they would fit better.  And that was my 2 tops completed.



Top 1 - ended up a little tighter than I planned, but I still think it suits me better than the trapeze style.



These jeans are my other pair of thrifted jeans that I took in from a boot leg style using the same technique I used for my last post.  This pair was a lot easier to alter as they were a pretty stretchy denim, which made it easier to get a skinny jean look without having to worry too much about leaving them wide enough to get my feet through the bottom of the leg hole.












































 I love these asymmetrical cardigans as they can be worn and wrapped in different ways to get different looks.  I have a large kilt pin I use to fasten them with rather than adding buttons which limit the style.



I've accidentally created a punk look with this hair cut and outfit combo.



My 'new to me' Cherry Red Arcadia Dr Martens. 




Jeans: thrifted and refashioned $4; 2 Refashioned Tops: both old items from my wardrobe; Scarf: old wardrobe favourite originally purchased from Tree of Life; Boots: Dr Martens purchased from Gumtree $30.




No comments:

Post a Comment