Sunday 19 October 2014

Maxi Skirt to Womens Dress Refashion

I seem to have a bit of a collection of old Maxi Skirts in my wardrobe - a carry over from a life lived in tropical Queensland where maxi skirts seemed to work for me in the hot and humid climate.  I don't know why they have remained in my wardrobe since I moved nearly 2 years ago, but the upside of my apparrent hoarder tendencies is that I have at least 6 skirts that I bought years ago that had fabric that appealed to me at the time of purchase, and although the maxi skirt style doesn't really appeal to me now,  I do still like the some of the fabrics.


Although my girls declared their love for this skirt when I asked them to take some 'before' photos, this skirt was about to get the chop so it could become a dress.



The skirt was lined and because I didn't want a see through dress, I needed to keep the lining in place.  So before I cut the top off the skirt I ran a stitch around it, just below where I was planning on cutting.



Chop.



I turned what was left of the skirt inside out and layed this top over it to use as a guide to where the shoulders seams, and the arm and neck holes would sit.



Chop, chop, chop...



After sewing the shoulder seams in place to keep everything lined up, I cut the neckline lower at the back of the dress.



Then I whizzed around and 'hemmed' the raw edges on the newly cut arm and neck holes.



I added a belt to give my new dress a waist line, and there you have it, a simple summery dress....















No comments:

Post a Comment