Sunday 26 October 2014

Maxi skirt to Dress Refashion # 2


Arrrggg, this is me first thing in the morning.

So... we are being hit with a heat wave at the moment, so something light and breezy was the order of the weekend.  I bought this cheapy 'Valley Girl' skirt last summer, but it was lined with the most hot and sticky synthetic fabric I have ever come across, so it hasn't had much wear.  I suppose I could have just chopped out the lining, but like I said last post, I'm not really into the maxi skirt these days.

So after debating with my family what this should become, I ignored all their suggestions (leave it as it is, or make harem pants) and decided to make another dress.


I chopped off the waist band, and the attached lining.  Then I cut the elastic out of the waist so it can be used in a future project.



I wanted to take out some width, so I decided to take it from the back seam, as the side seams had a gathered detail I wanted to keep.  So I folded it in half and drew a line in chalk 15cm in from the edge.




I sewed along the chalk line.



Chopped off the extra fabric, which will be used later.



Then I used a top I liked as a template for how I wanted the top of the dress to look.



And chopped around the lines.


This is the back.



The strap is one long piece that will thread through the front and back and then be sewn together, so I had to create a channel to thread it through.


I created two of these from the offcut fabric.  One is used for the strap, the other a sash for the waist.



I didn't manage to make it to the beach today, but this was still perfect for a hot and sticky sunday at home.



I made this necklace a couple of years ago, from felted beads and up-cycled glass beads.  



My 7 year old was my photographer today... she requested this pose.

I'm not sure how to price this outfit.  I can't remember what I paid for the skirt originally, and I have no idea what the cost of the necklace was.  The sandals are also old... lets just say my new outfit was no cost ;-)







2 comments:

  1. That's amazing - looks and fits so well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neleh, its super comfortable too. I'm pretty happy with this one :-)

      Delete