Monday 16 June 2014

Scarf to Vest

I was given this 'tube' scarf a year or so ago, but after many attempts I just couldn't get this style to match anything I owned. I was all set to hand it on, when I was inspired to turn it into a vest after seeing a crafty mama I know knitting a lovely woollen sleeveless cardigan for her little girl.



I've never attempted cutting and sewing a knitted item before and was a little concerned about it unraveling. 





 I cut the scarf so it was no longer a 'tube' and also cut in some arm holes.  It was a little tricky, but I managed to zig-zag the raw edges in an attempt to stop them from unravelling, and then folded them over and zig-zagged them again to tidy up the ratty bits.  The small holes I had cut for arms became quite big after being sewn, and the straight edges a little wobbly - but this was disguised by making it into an asymmetrical piece.

Next it was tried on so we could work out how it should sit when being worn.  Then it was sewn up so it would pull on over the head, and big button was popped on one shoulder to make it a faux cardigan.


This is what we ended up with.







Up-cycled clothing, on up-cycled landscaping. 



Before....                                                                                     And after



Now lets go play...







No comments:

Post a Comment